Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Top 5

This one's for one of my crew that probably doesn't even realise they are in my Support Crew.  They have shown an interest in my journey that is really special to me.  Hope I can repay the favour soon because you deserve it...

These are the best thing I have done to help me on my journey.

1. I got my mind in the right place. No more little voices of excuses live in my head. You know the ones - I'm too tired to exercise, I can't be bothered, I'll just eat one more, one piece of cake is alright... they go on and on! My head was full of them!!! lol.

2. Change how you think about food. I'm at the point now where I am not tempted by food. If I'm bored, I will go to the gym or go and visit my sister, instead of cooking up a storm. Food is fuel, that's it. It's not a reward and it doesnt make me feel better if I eat junk food. It's just a source of energy. It's really hard to think this way, but i just do it.

3. I plan all my training as my number 1 priority for the day. My training is in my calendar and nothing stops me from doing it. I train in the morning before work for about 60-100mins when life hasn't started so I can't be interupted. I train if it's cold, if I'm tired, if i can't be bothered, if my body is sore... I took on Michelle Bridge's saying of Just Fricken Do It (JFDI). It's really hard but i dont think, I JFDI.

4. I write down everything I eat and the calories... and I mean EVERYTHING!!! I have been keeping a food diary in my iPhone for the last 20 weeks and i havent missed recording a meal or a day. It's time consuming but essential. I had no idea how much i was eating til i started recording it.

5. Support Crew is essential. My sister is awesome. We are on this journey together. She is so encouraging and puts a realistic spin on things when I drive myself crazy lol. Gotta have that one person you can be totally honest with to keep you accountable.

3 comments:

  1. These are great tips - really helpful! Just wondered what your food diary in your iphone looks like? I haven't started keeping one yet but thinking about it and not sure how to do it so it's easy enough to keep! Well done on your success and keep going! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Jo. I use a free iPhone app called MyFitnessPal. It's a calorie counter and food tracker so it tracks you calories in and out. I find it simple to use and it can be accessed online if you dont have an iPhone/iPad.
    www.myfitnesspal.com
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Splash,

    Thanks for the list. Keeping it to a top 5 really simplifies things and makes them feel a little bit more achievable I think.

    I have a question for you though. How exactly did you get your mind in shape? You mention the little voices - "will just have one more piece" etc etc. I think I can easily enough get the other steps down pat, as I am a fairly methodical and logical person. It's easy enough to follow a diary plan and stuff. But my mind just falls apart. I have no idea how to turn those voices off. I recognise them all the time. Just doing anything about stopping them - I'm lost at this point.

    Thanks,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete